Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Wow! June 1st Already!





I would like to start off my letter wishing Happy Birthday to my cousin Alex Holmes this next wednesday! I hope that it is a awesome day for you! Know that I am thinking of you on your special day!

This week was another extremely busy week, and I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT IT IS ALREADY THE 1ST OF JUNE! I have said this a million times, but the time is just going by way too fast for me here! This week we had consejo with all of the zone leaders (my last one) and yesterday we had an awesome surprise from president.  All of our zone got to go to the BALLET of the church school that is in the DF that is called the Benemerito de las Americas!  We were the only ones that got to go because the theatre was in our zone! I will explain a little bit more further on in the letter!

So I didn't think the day would ever come that I would give my "last testimony" in front of all the zone leaders and president in the consejo. I have been to that meeting for the last year every month and have watched missionaries give their last testimonies, and this time it was my turn.  It was a very emotional moment for me and all the zone leaders from my generation.  It's weird though because i feel like I still have a lot of time left in the mission.  SO that was also the last junta I prepared for all of the zone leaders, and I feel like it was a great success.  

While we were planning the junta with president, a thought came to my head when we talked about prayer.  We talked about giving our whole heart to God, and leaving the little things behind that prevent us from having the success that we want in our missions.  In that moment I thought of the "VIEJO" that we do every year at our new year's party.  I thought about what a fun tradition that is, and so i looked in my old emails and found the pictures of the viejo that you guys did this last year.  So immediately I put the picture in the powerpoint that we were putting together so that I could share the idea with all the zone leaders.  Obviously I wasn't going to make a viejo and light him on fire in the house of president, haha, but I wanted to do something similar by talking about leaving our bad habits behind and committiing ourselves to be 100% obedient.  So In the junta, the picture of the viejo came up, and i started to explain what we do as a family every new year.  Many of them got a good chuckle out of it, but then we told them that we were going to do something similar.  We all went to different places in the house of president to pray, in order to ask our father in heaven what each one of us could do better, and in the same prayer, commit ourselves to being better with that one thing and leaving our weaknesses behind.  They all wrote the thing they wanted to leave behind on a piece of paper, and as they came back, I told them to all throw it in the trash (because it would have been a little to extreme to burn them!) But the hermana Call insisted that we take them out back to burn them!! I told her to ask president because i was afraid to ask him to burn stuff on his back yard! haha. SO what the Hermana Call says goes, and we ended up burning them! haha.  It was a great moment, and the spirit was felt really strong by everyone, as each one of us bowed down and prayed.  I think everyone really liked it, and it also helped me achieve one of the goals that I have been working on.  I will send you the pictures that the Hermana Call sent all of us! 

So now on to the story of the BALLET!!  It was AWESOME!! I  will be sure to send you guys some pictures, and maybe a couple of the videos that I took.  The pictures didn't turn out too great because it was really dark in there.  The Benemerito has a great dance program, and they put on a great show of all of the traditional dances of Mexico.  One of the dances (my favorite of the night) had all of the girls dancing with a glass bottle on their heads, and the guys with machette´s!  The whole night was filled with awesome traditional clothing and famous songs.  I was kind of surprised that president let us go, but it looked like he also enjoyed himself a lot.  The Benemerito is closing down, so it is the last performance that they are going to ever do! It was sad for a lot of people, but I was glad that I had the opportunity of seeing them in person! It was a fun little gift from president! Also, I saw a ton of people that I know, because the theatre that it was held in is one of the biggest ones in Mexico, so everyone went to see the last show! Super fun stuff!!

SO it looks like my last weeks in the mission will be spent going to different capacitacions!  President is going to be having interviews with all of the missionaries, since the mission will be splitting, and this time he invited us to go with him, so that we could give the training while he is doing all of the interviews.  That means 9 different days of training because of the 9 zones that we have in the mission.  I am pretty excited though, and surprised because I didn't think that president would want us to come.  He usually just goes and does them himself.  SO we are pretty excited, but it looks like I will be traveling a lot in these next couple weeks to finish my mission.  Hopefully we get a couple days in to tract but it will be tough.  

Well that's about all that is new with me!  I love you all so much.  I know that this is the true church on the earth.  As I bore my testimony the other day in consejo, I reflected upon all the things I have learned in these two short years, and the most important thing is that this is HIS work and the ONLY true church on the face of the earth! 

Love,

Elder Holmes 

No comments:

Post a Comment